Thursday, August 26, 2010

Recipe: Chicken, Prosciutto & Provolone Panini w/ Basil Mayo


I am getting more adventurous in the kitchen.
I have always loved ciabatta bread so I decided
to make an italian-inspired panini for dinner!
Now, I don't have a panini grill so I improvised.

See how I did it, below.

I've never used some of these ingredients before but overall
I think it turned out pretty good for my first try.

Here's what I made and how much it cost:

Chicken, Prosciutto & Provolone Panini w/ Basil Mayo

Ingredients:
Ciabatta Sandwich Rolls (4) - $2.99
Prosciutto (8 very thin slices at deli counter) - $2.73
Provolone Cheese (1/4 lb. sliced thin at deli counter) - $1.36
Fresh Basil (about 8-10 leaves) - $2.32
Cooked Chicken Breast (about 4 tenderloins per sandwhich) - $0 (on hand already)
1 Cup Mayonnaise - $0 (had in fridge already)
salt n pepper to taste

Directions:
In a small food processor, add mayo, basil leaves and salt n pepper.
I used about 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper.
Cook's Tip: You can add half a lemon's juice to this if you have one on hand.
Pulse until fully combined together and basil is fully incorporated.
Preheat grill pan on medium heat.
Meanwhile, cut ciabatta rolls in half.
Spread basil mayo on each half.
Layer the ingriedents on bottom half of ciabatta roll.
First the cooked chicken, then sliced prosciutto and sliced provolone.
Top with other half of ciabatta roll.

Add about 1/2 Tbl. of olive oil to grill pan so it doesn't stick.
Cook's Tip: I brushed the oil on with a basting brush.
Now, add the sandwhich to the grill.
To press the sandwhich, I took a cast iron skillet
and weighted it down with several cans of beans.
I saw this on Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals one time.

This is how it looked after I loaded down the pan:


Now, cook the panini for about 3 minutes on each side.
Keep the pan weighted down after you flip the sandwhich.
Cut the panini in half and serve warm.

Here it is in all it's glory!

Here's what I would do to make it even better:
*Instead of using prosciutto, I will make it next time with pancetta (italian bacon)
*I will try it with sliced mozzerella instead of provolone
*I will only cook it about 2-3 minutes each side
*I will add lemon juice to the basil mayo and maybe minced garlic

Total Cost: Dinner for Four
$2.35 per person!

If you try this recipe, let me know how it turned out!

Happy Cooking,

No comments: